We are no longer living in a construction zone! Remodeling our office to become MJ’s nursery took about a month, but based on how dirty it made my house, you’d have guessed it had been going on much longer. Luckily, I have a husband in the trades. It’s easier to keep the project on track when the labor lives with you (sometimes).
Since we’re trying to save for the unpaid portion of my maternity leave, we outlined a budget before we started. Without decor/furniture we estimated the project would cost us $850. The room we were tackling was a walk-through off the kitchen that we had never touched, not even painted. Our house is a 1970s ranch and this room was keeping The Brady Bunch relevant with its paneling.
Andy started the demo while I hunted for a small dresser to fix up. It’s a small, 126-square-foot room, so space is precious. I found one for $40 at the Habitat for Humanity Restore. Some sanding, a few coats of paint/primer and some cute new pulls and it was just what we needed for baby girl.
Andy ripped down all the paneling to reveal some extra space behind the stairs, which he decided would make the perfect place for a built-in. He framed it up, Sheetrocked new walls/ceiling, textured and painted. Here are photos taken while I observed the work (without actually doing any).
Caroline has a coral/grey themed room, which is pretty fitting for our spunky little girl. I wanted MJ to have something just as cool and similarly non-traditional. Andy calls the local Sherwin-Williams more than he calls me, so he gave his two cents and we decided (after returning one gallon) on the colors Naval, Lotus Flower and Marshmallow.
We were generously gifted new trim from Andy’s employer, the leftovers of a different job. We picked up the remaining we needed and added some chair rail. At this point Andy decided to hire out the labor. He knows his limits (I’m glad one of us does), and finish work isn’t his strength. It cost a little more, but we’re not remodeling this room ever again so we wanted to do it right.
We rounded out the project with new carpet from The Home Depot and a new cordless window shade for the paranoid mom. This is how the expenses broke down:
$168 paint/primer – Sherwin-Williams (Andy always recommends the Cashmere line, which we used. It looks great and cleans well.)
$40 dresser – Habitat for Humanity Restore
$455 carpet – The Home Depot (plus we received a $150 gift card for our late install, score!)
$90 window shade – The Home Depot
$100 trim/chair rail/shelving – Menards
$250 trim labor – local carpenter
$120 drywall – Bond Drywall
$40 vents/switch covers – Menards
$74 decor – Hobby Lobby, Target
We obviously missed the mark on the $850 budget, but we’re happy with the outcome. Here are some shots of the finished product: